Monday, June 15, 2015

Blueberry Torte

Suddenly 2 servings remained!
The bags of frozen Blueberries on the top shelf of our large freezer beckoned to me!  Usually in June each year I've baked with most of them.  This past winter brought a change in weekly cooking/ baking, so I have a little surplus going on.  No problem!  3 days ago I had that baking urge to try something new.  Every so often I'd think about Marian Burros' & Lois Levine's Plum Torte.  Yes, the Plum Torte has been baked/ enjoyed here, but my fam does not rank it as a fave.  Perhaps because Plums are not a fave fruit.  Often I've thought of using Blueberries rather than Plums & baking it again.  That thought brought me to my Blueberry supply.

A 2 cup package of Blueberries was defrosted, then drained.  The stick of unsalted Butter was sitting on my counter softening.  My springform pan was sprayed with PAM & my Kitchenaid hand mixer along with a large bowl was taken out.  Woah!  What a yummy torte when baked with Blueberries!    

I've changed the original recipe a bit using:
2 Egg Whites + 1 Whole Egg
Adding the 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon into the batter
Adding 1/4 Cup Soy Milk
Sprinkling less Sugar/ Cinnamon on top

Did we enjoy this torte?  My DH gave it 2 thumbs up! 

Blueberry Torte
          Oven:  350°F     Baking Time:  45- 50 Minutes
          adapted from Marian Burros' + Lois Levine's Plum Torte recipe
         
Ingredients:
1/4 lb. unsalted Butter
3/4 Cup Sugar - I used a little less.
1 Cup Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon - Can use a little less
pinch of Salt
1 Whole Egg + 2 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Soy Milk - Can use Whole, 1% Milk
2 Cups Blueberries- defrosted & drained or fresh (washed in cool water & drained)

*****
Combine 1 Tablespoon Sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl to sprinkle on top.

Method:
  1. Using a mixer, cream softened unsalted Butter with 3/4 Cup Sugar in large bowl.
  2. To creamed Butter/ Sugar add Flour, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Salt, Egg + Egg Whites.
  3. Beat with mixer.  Batter will be stiff.
  4. Slowly add 1/4 Cup Soy Milk (or Milk) & beat.
  5. Using a large spoon place batter in springform pan that has been sprayed with PAM.  Spread evenly.
  6. Drain Blueberries (if frozen) & place on top of batter.
  7. Gently press into batter.
  8. Sprinkle Sugar/ Cinnamon mixture on top.
  9. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 45- 50 minutes.
  10. Use a toothpick or cake tester to test for doneness.
  11. Place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
  12. Remove sides of springform pan & cool longer.  
  13. When cooled, carefully use a knife to slide between torte & bottom of pan to separate torte easily.
  14. Place another cooling rack on top of torte, flip over.  Remove bottom of pan. 
  15. Then place plate on torte bottom & flip again.
  16. Serve slices with vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.  
The yummy Blueberry Torte was refrigerated to enjoy again.  Suddenly, only 2 servings remained!  I know what I'll be baking for the Father's Day weekend celebration!!!!!

Enjoy!
Yummy!
              

No comments: