|Recipe ready to be used!|
After spending the 3 day weekend with family & friends, suddenly Easter is here. No, I had not given Easter dinner much thought. Mustard Roasted Leg of Lamb is now on the menu complete with all of the trimmings. Dessert???
Strawberry Shortcake! It comes in quite handy for me to check out my own blog for foodie ideas! :) Strawberry Shortcake is definitely a family fave! Fresh sliced strawberries or in my case - I reach into our large freezer & locate a package of the frozen sliced slightly sweetened strawberries that only need to be defrosted. Today 2 packages of the frozen strawberries will be placed in the fridge to defrost - ready for Sunday.
The Shortcake will be prepared tomorrow in a 9" round cake pan. Vanilla Ice Cream & Whipped Cream have been purchased, so we are good to go! This is a very easy, very delicious dessert!
Oven: 450°F Time: 15 – 20 minutes
***Strawberries & Shortcake are needed for this amazing dessert!
Ingredients for Shortcake:
2 Cups Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup solid Crisco Shortening
1 Cup Milk (can be low fat, reconstituted powdered or soy)
- Heat oven to 450°.
- Spray 9" round layer cake pan with PAM.
- Measure Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder & Salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add solid Shortening.
- Combine Shortening with dry ingredients using 2 knives or a pastry blender.
- Stir in Milk until blended.
- Spoon & pat into pan.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Before serving, cut into pie slices.
- Then cut each serving to be used in half – a top and a bottom.
- Place the bottom in a dessert dish. Cover with sliced strawberries (that have been cleaned, sliced and mixed with a little sugar, according to taste) & ice cream.
- Place other piece on top and cover with berries & ice cream.
- Any extra shortcake slices can be sliced and frozen to be enjoyed at a later date.
This is an easy, tasty dessert to be enjoyed in the Spring!