Saturday, May 25, 2013

Oatmeal Pancakes

Oatmeal Pancakes
"This tastes really great!"  It was a direct quote from my DH this AM at breakfast.  Whenever I hear a positive review after the first bite of a food, I usually jokingly inquire, "May I use that quote?"  "Yes!" was the reply.  That is the story.

Hot Oatmeal Pancakes with a hint of Cinnamon & Nutmeg topped with defrosted slightly sweetened sliced Strawberries were on our Breakfast Menu this AM.  These pancakes are just yummy!  However, it's no secret that my DH's fave is Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes.  Both pancakes require Buttermilk.  (I use the Fat Free variety.)  This week whenever I opened the door of my kitchen cabinet the container of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats beckoned to me.  It definitely was a plan - Oatmeal Pancakes!
 
Last night, 2 Cups of Oats, the Cinnamon & the Nutmeg were combined with 2 Cups of Fat Free Buttermilk in a bowl.  The covered bowl was placed in the fridge.  A package of locally grown frozen sliced Strawberries that I froze last June was defrosted in the fridge.  This AM I was good to go!
(File Photo)
No, we do not devour the entire batch at once.  The remaining pancakes are packed away in the freezer to enjoy on other mornings - after a quick pop in the microwave!

Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients

2 Cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
2 Cups Fat Free Buttermilk
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4
teaspoon Nutmeg
* * * *
1 Cup Fat Free Buttermilk – use the next morning
½ Cup Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Egg + 2 Egg Whites, lightly beaten
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil ( for sauteing & baking) I use Carapelli.

Method
  1. Combine Oats, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Buttermilk in a bowl.  Cover & refrigerate overnight.
  2. Next morning – add additional 1 Cup Buttermilk to mixture so it can be combined easily.
  3. Stir Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder & Baking Soda together in small bowl.
  4. Add to Oats mixture.
  5. Add beaten Egg + Egg Whites and Olive Oil. 
  6. Stir all adding small amount of Buttermilk, if needed.
  7. Pour ¼ cup portions on heated non-stick griddle. 
  8. When brown, flip over and cook other side.
Top with fresh or slightly sweetened defrosted Strawberries.

Enjoy!
Yummy!



***As we celebrate Memorial Day on Monday pause to remember and to honor
those who have sacrificed their lives for our country.          

4 comments:

Amy said...

Your oatmeal pancakes look great. light and fluffy. I usually make regular ones only. Can't wait to give this a try next time.

JG said...

Amy- They are light & tasty. Great with the Strawberries. :)

~Judy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I love buttermilk pancakes! And that's how I eat them...with fresh strawberries. Since I can't eat any sugar, I don't use maple syrup any more. Great recipe!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- Strawberries are a great topping!