Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes


Tuesday is Valentine's Day!!!

This weekend I wanted to prepare a breakfast that we'd enjoy and also place any extras in our freezer for Tuesday morning.  It did not take too long to decide what breakfast to prepare.  One of my My husband's fave breakfast in the world is Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes!  Light Buttermilk pancakes flavored with Cinnamon and a bit of Nutmeg.  Combine that with Blueberries = YUM!  

As I've mentioned previously, I discovered this Buttermilk Pancake recipe that BURYGOLD submitted on allrecipes.com.  These are really great pancakes!  Now, I make a lower fat version that tastes divine!  You know how I like to reduce the cholesterol content when baking/cooking.  It sure works when you reduce it over time.  Egg Whites rather than Whole Eggs (1 Whole Egg = 2 Egg Whites when baking), low fat Milk rather than whole Milk, using Olive Oil instead of Butter, when possible.  Those little changes that do not make a change in taste, do reduce cholesterol levels.  I know from experience and I am very happy with the results!  :)
  
Third Blueberry Buttermilk Pancake ready to Flip over!

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- adapted from BURYGOLD on allrecipes.com 

Ingredients
3 Cups White Bread Flour (can be all purpose Flour)
3 Tablespoons Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
3/4 teaspoon Salt (I use a little less.)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg

1 Whole Egg + 4 Egg Whites
3 Cups Fat Free Buttermilk
1/2 Cup 1% Milk
1/3 Cup Olive Oil for Sauteing & Baking

2 Cups Blueberries (can be fresh or defrosted & drained)

Method:
  1. Heat griddle over medium heat.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Lightly beat Egg + 4 Egg Whites in another bowl.
  4. Add Buttermilk, Milk and Olive Oil. Beat.
  5. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture in large bowl.
  6. Stir just until blended.  Make sure all dry ingredients are mixed in, but do not over stir.
  7. Allow about 1/3 Cup of batter for each pancake and place on griddle.
  8. Add 8-9 Blueberries to each pancake.
  9. When brown on one side flip over.
  10. Brown other side.  
After Breakfast and the extra pancakes have cooled I place each in a sandwich bag and then stack them in a Ziploc Freezer Bag.  Into our freezer they go to enjoy other mornings.  This works great! 

The Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes will taste wonderful tomorrow morning!  The Blueberries are defrosting in our fridge.  As a matter of fact I do know what we will enjoy on Valentine's Day for breakfast!  

Enjoy!
Yummy!

5 comments:

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look fantastic! I love that they are lower in fat, have to try these!

Rita said...

These look so healthy good; perfect for Valentine's morning.
Rita

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is just about my MOST favorite food in the world! I can't eat sugar any more so now I eat them with fruit or jam with no added sugar! I love to make them for dinner sometimes! Happy Valentine's day to you, my friend! ♥

JG said...

Carol & Rita- Thanks! The only I make them now. :)

~Lavender Dreamer- I really understand why! Blueberries = Yum!

~Judy

Barbara Bakes said...

So sweet that you made his favorite pancakes for Valentine's. They sound great.